Thursday, August 24, 2017

Little Dorrit...Take 2

I'm rewatching Little Dorrit, and goodness me, I'd forgotten how much there was that I didn't like! To be sure, the ending left me with such a happy image last time that I have always thought of it as a marvellous series. This time, however, watching it, I'm reminded of how dark and evil it is.
I think part of the difference is because last time, I was reading and watching it at the same time. I would read a section, then watch the corresponding segment. Which was somewhat helpful for keeping track of the plots and characters. I think that helped keep it balanced, too. Because dark as Dickens may be, the book wasn't as dark as the movie. For one, at the very least, there wasn't the creepy music. Also, I think that Monsiuer Blandois Rigaud is exaggerated more in the movie. Or maybe it's the actor. I'm not sure, but while he is still pure evil in the book, he seems so much more evil in the movie. He feels so evil. I think his theme creepy music has something to do with that, too. Whatever it is, it feels like pure evil whenever he's onscreen.

I think I'd also forgotten how much that wasn't good besides Rigaud. There are a total of about...seven characters off the top of my head that are actually good whom I actually like. And a whole lot more than that that aren't.
Like Amy's family! They bother me soooo much. Auuuuuggggghhhh. I want to slap them all in the face frequently. JUST SHUT UP. LEAVE AMY ALONE. GO THROW YOURSELF OFF A CLIFF FOR SPEAKING TO HER LIKE THAT.
Aaaaggghhh.
(Side note. Is anyone shocked to hear Rae speaking in such a manner? If so, I do hope you do not find it too vulgar and inappropriate.)
But really. They are SO unjust and unfair and so blind and they treat Amy horridly. They blame her for everything. They oppress her. They emotionally abuse her. And what does she do? She smiles, loves them, bears it like the perfect saint she is. She deserves so much better than that horrid family of hers, and fortunately she gets her happiness in the end but FOR TWENTY-ONE YEARS she had to put up with that.
Aaaugghhh.
It just makes me so mad.

*Deep breaths*

Flintwinch. What on earth?! I don't like him a bit. 

Mrs. Clennam. More dark scenes and creepy music. I don't like it.
(Also. In the book it just said "D. N. F." so it was not quite so blatantly obvious what it meant.)

Oh, and this time watching it, I skipped the first four episodes. I know what happens enough, and I remembered the second half being better than the first (I know the first 4 isn't nearly half; that's just how much I skipped). 
I just finished episode 10. I'll finish watching it, I just wanted to stop and write down my thoughts so far before I forgot it all in the happy ending. 
So.
I believe I shall finish watching, and then continue this post, and who knows? Perhaps there may be some good in this post after all.
*finishes watching Little Dorrit and comes back a couple days later and finishes post without rereading above*
 Okay, I adore Edmund Sparkler. He is absolutely hilarious.

And Mrs. Finching--Flora--!!! She cracked me up. For real. I laughed aloud in a couple of her scenes (and those were the only times I laughed in the movie) (maybe) (no, I laughed aloud at Edmund Sparkler, too). Especially the first scene where Amy goes to her house. I couldn't stop laughing. She's a riot. I adore her. She has a very good soul and heart, too. I wish her the best. She has absolutely no malice in her. She's a dear. And she's hilarious.
And JOOOHHHNNNN.





*cries*
You know the scene where he's talking to Mr. Clennam as soon as he comes to the Marshalsea? (I feel like I spelled that wrong, please correct me.) That was the only scene in which I cried. And I mean, like, sobbed, like John. And I never sob in movies. (So we can blame this phenomenon either on John or on the fact that I became a crybaby this summer.) But stiiiiilllllll!!!!!!
I adore John and he deserves the absolute best.
 ((SIDE NOTE:
HERE'S SOMETHING that I posed to Naomi that I'm kind of unsure about BUT--
If you've read Rilla of Ingleside, hear me.
Una
and
John Chivery
???
Okay so I'm kinda shipping it right now. Hear me out. They'd both understand each other perfectly when it comes to losing the person they've loved since children. And that would always be part of their relationship, that understanding. BUT they're both so sweet and Amy and Una are not dissimilar and while John and Walter aren't very similar, I think Una would learn to love him quite well. It may seem like a step down after Walter, but hear me out (some more). John is actually like, perfect. He is the perfect gentleman. He'd do literally anything for those he loves. Maybe he's "not as good as Walter"??? but I'd say let's not compare them, and just recognize each for their individual perfection. Because they're both perfect in different ways. And I think John Chivery would be perfect for Una. And Una would be perfect for John.
One more thing. Someone, maybe it was Naomi? Ok fine I'll go see if I can find it...(Oh hey, Naomi has a marvellous new blog look, love it)...*goes and looks for the thing*... It wasn't Naomi, great, let me see...
Okay was that boring enough?
Let me continue.
Someone made a dream cast of Rilla of Ingleside once that cast Claire Foy (who plays Little D) as Una. That's all I was trying to say. But I have no clue who it was.
Okay. *sighs and goes to Google* I'll find it.
IT WAS AMY AT Yet Another Period Drama Blog IN 2012 okay.
Here you go.
She even mentions Little Dorrit but I didn't remember that because I had barely heard of it when I first read this.

Okay, END LOOOONG SIDE NOTE))

(Does something that long count as a side note?) (Maybe it should be its own post?) (Too bad.)

Okay, so I think this post is a dreadful enough mess. Perhaps I should wrap it up?

Oh, one more thing. I do LOVE the ending of Little Dorrit. In fact, I find the entire last episode to be marvellous. Which is good. What's the point of watching something if it doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth?

Now, tell me what you think. Of all that.

8 comments:

  1. OK YOU KNOW THE MORE I THINK ABOUT UNA AND JOHN THE MORE I SHIP IT. THIS IS EXCITING.
    AHH THE THOUGHT OF THEM BOTH HAPPY THOUGH.
    LIKE THEY DESERVE THAT SO SO SO MUCH.
    AH.

    *weeps*

    Ok... back to post. :-)

    100% agree on all the annoying people and that Edmund Sparkler is hilarious (I LOVE that guy) and that John Chivery BRINGS TEARS TO EYES GAH HE IS SUCH A SWEETHEART GAH and that the creepy music definitely is creepy. I haven't seen LD in a while (I must remedy that!) but I remember loving it to bits. Although it is dark. True. :-)

    Amy's dream cast of RoI is the best. T'wasn't me but I'm honoured you thought it was. :-)
    And heehee, your writing of thoughts amused me muchly. Basically, you amuse me muchly and I LOVE your blog posts. :-) <3

    K, bye!

    #unaandjohn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'M GLAD YOU AGREE
      YES

      *weeps with you*

      Yeah, I remembered absolutely adoring Little Dorrit, which is why I watched it again. And I realized I'd forgotten a lot of what I put in here. I still adore it, though.

      I do love her casting! I believe I found that even before I started blogging, or maybe towards the beginning, and I had it in the back of my mind. I believe you have done a dream cast of RoI too, though...? Like in a tag or something...? I don't quite remember.

      Haha, I'm glad you found it amusing; I'm afraid I'm rather a mess sometimes.

      Thank you SO much for your comment, dear!!

      #unaandjohnforever

      Delete
  2. I love Little Dorrit!

    It's a beautiful miniserie! It's also very sad and Rigaud is very creepy.

    Lovely review Rae!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! I quite agree with your comments. Thank you so much, Rachel!!

      Delete
  3. Loved this, cool pics!! :) I haven't heard of Little Dorritt before, would you recommend the books?

    Btw, I nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award!! No pressure, but if you'd like, details are on my blog :))

    ~Iris xoxo
    getupandoutblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Little Dorrit is by Charles Dickens, and I would definitely recommend the book. I love it.

      I'll go check that out! I'll see if I can make time for it! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This post. THIS POST! Rae. I can't even begin to say how much I enjoyed this. Seriously this was so good. (And I meant to comment much sooner than this but between one thing and another it completely slipped my mind.)

    Yes, Blandois is SO creepy in the movie. *shivers* He's like evil personified. (Until that last scene when all he can think about is "getting his money"...then he seemed almost a little lame and ridiculous? Haha.)

    "GO THROW YOURSELF OFF A CLIFF FOR SPEAKING TO HER LIKE THAT." Mwahahaha. Vulgar and inappropriate? No indeed! That deserve it. (I do sort of like Fanny sometimes though. Not how she treats Amy of course, but she is amusing to watch and there are a few moments when you almost catch a glimpse of real sisterly affection between them. Which is sweet.) Oh, and don't forget Uncle Frederick! He's the one member of Amy's family that actually has a measure of sense and good-feeling! I love Uncle Frederick. I'm so glad Amy had him with her.

    YEEEEEES! SPARKLER!!! THE BEST. <3 <3 <3

    Flora. "Those dear dead days gone forever never to be recalled!" Hahaha. ;D

    Oh John. Oh John. Oh John. :( (Thanks for loading on all the pathetic pictures, Rae!) I LOVE JOHN! And that scene of him talking to Arthur! AHHHHHH! That's like one of my favorite scenes. IT'S JUST SO SAD! AND I FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM! AND GAHHHHH...IT'S SO GOOD! And poor Arthur is so completely oblivious. He just doesn't get it. And when he does finally realize who John's talking about...ohhhh! I FEEL SO BAD FOR BOTH OF THEM! :( :(

    All I know is, John needs to find someone who will love him! I can't remember Una very well, but I'm willing to go along with your ship if you think it's a good one. :)

    Again, this was a splendid post, Rae! Thanks so much for the fun read.

    ~Miss March

    P.S. Pancks is one of my favorite characters too. Simply hilarious. What was your opinion of him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw THANK YOU I'M SO GLAD.

      Yes! Evil personified. Although yes, I agree. He's also a lunatic.

      Haha, I'm glad you don't think ill of me for that. And yes, I confess I don't hate Fanny sometimes. I agree.
      And of course, Uncle Frederick! I suppose I did kind of skip over him. I love him to death. I agree, I'm SO glad Amy had him.

      I'm glad you agree about Sparkler and Flora. And yes, that line is so comical. :D

      Oh, you're so welcome. I know you LOVED the reminders. YES YES YES you get it, we agree, YES.

      You should re-read Rilla of Ingleside then (wait...assuming you've read it before; if not GO READ IT RIGHT NOW). There's not a whole lot of Una, but there's enough to convince you I think. :D

      Thank you so much!! I'm glad you liked it.

      Oh, Pancks! Yes! He's hilarious, I agree. And very--weird. That's really the best way I can think of to describe him. He's weird. But in the best way! I really like him.

      Thanks so much for your comment!!!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I highly enjoy each comment! Just keep it clean and respectful. I do moderate, but as long as it's clean and respectful I should publish it within a short amount of time. Thank you!
Be sure to click "Notify Me" in the bottom-right corner of the comment box; I always reply to comments!
(I also do not mind comments on old posts at all! They are welcome!)