Monday, April 11, 2016

My Ballgown (a. k. a. Prom Dress)

Last Saturday night I went to a ball, more commonly known as Prom. Mormon Prom, to be specific. 
I made my gown for that ball. In case anyone happens to be curious about what it looks like, I have pictures:

So I used two patterns and online instructions plus my own alterations and additions. The most part of the bodice was from a pattern, but I altered the pattern to make it more modest--and once I sewed it the first time I had to rip it apart and try again. Terribly frustrating, but worth it, don't you think? ;)

Does anyone else agree with so many on Facebook that my dress bears a slight resemblance to Rapunzel's dress in Tangled

I felt like a princess...'twas lovely!

For the skirt, I simply used a 3/4 circle skirt tutorial. I have done circle skirts and 1/2 circle skirts, so this was not difficult. 

And...how I planned for my hair to look, and how I did it for pictures. Long story. Perhaps I shall explain why by request. 

You can't quite see in the pictures, but besides my yellow flowers in my hair I had a yellow flower-shaped necklace (you can see that the most in the first one, not really the others) and yellow heels. 

The Ball was quite enjoyable, for many of my friends were there. I did not dance much, perhaps because the young men were "in no humour to give consequence to young ladies who were slighted by other men." (When I thought of this explanation I was comforted because I was just like Elizabeth Bennet, so it was all right!) However, I did have three very nice partners. And after all, having three nice partners is better than having six partners and only one of them is nice (I know from experience :). 

12 comments:

  1. A ball!! How lovely. I've never been to a ball. Your dress is beautiful! And the flowers in your hair are so sweet. Thanks for sharing pictures. :)

    I'm sorry you didn't get loads of partners (that probably would have been my luck, too) but I'm so glad you had three nice ones, and that you were able to comfort yourself with thoughts of Elizabeth Bennet. Books really are very helpful things, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Miss March!
      I would never go to "balls" or dances, or Proms, or whatever, if my church didn't have them! Fortunately they do a formal dance, called "Mormon Prom" every year, so I get my one excuse to sew a fancy dress and make myself beautiful!
      Haha, thank you for your sympathy. It really was comforting to think that Elizabeth Bennet was the same way. It reminded me of Anne, too, and how she reminds herself of things like, "my life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes" to comfort herself. :) I mentioned that part of P&P to my friend, who has also read it, but she did not find it as comforting as I did. Haha.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I love your dress. I was planning to make my dress for Mormon Prom this year, but I then I ended up not having time (and I wasn't entirely sure I knew quite that much about sewing to make a prom dress, even though I've made simpler things before.)
    I like how you did your hair too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does take a lot of time; it took me almost 10 hours (I did use it for Personal Progress!). I have made several dresses and I made my Mormon Prom dress last year, so I was felt pretty confident--but as I said in my post, I had to re-do the bodice. :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. It's lovely! I agree, it is a little like Rapunzel. I was actually wondering what it reminded me of when I read through the post. It certainly looks Disney worth. :D And I mean, you made it! So that in and of itself is spectacular!! I would never do as well. And you were able to make changes and such. That's awesome!

    I'm sorry you didn't have as many partners as you might have wished. :P But as you said, neither did Lizzy and that turned out alright. (Haha, more than alright I would say.)

    I'm constantly having delusions of grandeur about my hair, too and then--me happens. ;P What's your tale?

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :)
      Yes, it was quite all right. I was soon reconciled especially when I remembered Lizzy!
      Well, here's what happened. (You asked. I'm sorry.) They scheduled a youth Temple trip for the same day, and our temple is 5 hours away. We thought the session would be over by 2:30 and then it would only take 4 hours to get to the place where the ball was, it being closer than our house. We thought we could get there by 6:30 so I could do my hair there. Of course, we were running late so we got to the Stake Center around 7:20 instead, and when I saw that that was going to happen, I just decided to do my hair in the car. Fortunately I've had practise, so I just did it in a braided up-do, which turned out pretty nice. There. :) (Oh, and that tale also explains why I did pictures not actually the day of Prom. No time.)

      Delete
  4. Oh, your dress is so beautiful!! Lovely job. I agree, it is very Rapunzel-like. I LOVE the flowers in your hair. Your style is so sweet and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you so much! You're too kind! :)

      Delete
  5. Very pretty, Rae!! :-) I WISH I HAD BALLS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naomi! Haha, as I was telling Miss March, I only ever have dances because my church has them every couple of months and I called this a ball because it sounds better, while it was, in reality, not much like my idea of a ball. :)

      Delete
  6. This is so gorgeous! I love your dress! :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I highly enjoy each comment! Just keep it clean and respectful. I do moderate, but as long as it's clean and respectful I should publish it within a short amount of time. Thank you!
Be sure to click "Notify Me" in the bottom-right corner of the comment box; I always reply to comments!
(I also do not mind comments on old posts at all! They are welcome!)